PLACE OF INTEREST

 

UDDHARANPUR:

 

It is actually a village which had a name Radhakestopur. There are some holy places in Uddharanpur. It has a history of 500 years. It was named by Uddharan Dutta, a famous vaishnvanite here and the bank of Ganges named after him. He was an excited devotee of Lord Sri Nityananda.

 

According to solar calculation it was on the day of Makar sankranti an auspicious conjunction of the stars Nemai Pandit went to take Sannyasa from Keshab Bharati Maharaj.

 

VASKAR PANDIT GHAT:

Maratha army from Nagpur under Bhaskar Pandit had entered into Bengal in 1740. At that time, Alivardi Khan was the Nawab(Governor) of Bengal-Bihar-Orissa. At Nigon Sarai, fourteen miles from Katwa, a desperate rear-guard action was fought between Shuja-Uddin and Vaskar Pandit and he managed to reach Katwa. From June 1742 Katwa become he head quarter of the Maratha.

 

 

The west of the Bhagirathi under this district thus temporarily passed into the hands of the Marathas. In 1742, while Bhaskar Pandit was celebrating Durga Puja at Katwa, Nawab Alibardi Khan fell upon him suddenly, after crossing the Ganga at Nakashipara, a mile north of Katwa and drove him out of Bengal. On March 1743, Raghuji Bhonsle, the Raja of Nagpur accompanied by Bhaskar Pandit, arrived at Katwa to realize the Chouth or 1/4th of revenue which had been promised by the Mughal Emperor and in the presence of Peswa Balaji Rao Alivardi promised to pay the chauth of Bengal. But in the next year, in order to get rid of Marathas, Alivardi invited Bhaskar Pandit and his officers and got them assassinated. In December 1745, a battle was fought between Alivardi and Raghuji Bhonsle at Katwa and Raghuji was defeated and returned to Nagpur.

 

GOURANGA BARI:

 

Actual site where Sri chaitanya Mahaprobhu took Sannyasa from Keshab Bharati in the of year 1510 AD at the end of his twenty fourth year. Gadhadhar Das established Gouranga Bigraho and in 1831 there was a temple named Gouranga Bari. It is believed that Mahaprabhu attained Samadhi (liberation of the soul) at this place.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MADHAITALA

 

 

 

 

It is believed that Jagai Madhai the two disciple of Sri Chaitanya Dev had visited Madhaitala Ashram. The home of Jagai & Madhai is also located at the premises of this Asram. Samadhi of Madhai is situated here.

 

SRIBATI:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Once upon a time a family from far of Gujrat migrated the entire length of the country to settle near the present day town of Katwa in Burdwan district. Belonging to the trader class they soon exhaled in trade & commerce.

In a very short span of time the Chandra family earned enough to build themselves a huge mansion, and several temples dedicated to Lord Shiva.

The mansion and the temples are still there reminding one of the glorious days of river trade of Bengal. This is an exclusive example of Trracota.

 

 

 

RADHAGOBINDO JIU TEMPLE:

It is Stone temple with richly carved façade. In 1839 Radhavinod Ghosh Choudhury built this temple. It took 18 yrs to build. Height of this temple is near about 80 feet and of chariot shape.

JOGODYA TEMPLE:

According to mythology, the right toe of Sati Devi fell down at this particular Shakti Peeth. 

 

It is believed that the deity remains submerged under the Khirdighi, a nearby pond by the shrine. On every Baishakhi Sankranti She comes out of the water and stay overnight(24 hours) inside the temple at garbha griha. After accepting the yajnas and the special puja, She again gets back to the water of the Khirdighi where She stays with Khirakantha, Her divine cornsort; an incarnation of Lord Shiva. The devotees here believe in this century old legend and the same practice is carried on for ages.

 

 

 

 

 

 

BONKAPASI:It is famous for exquisite sola handicraft.

 

 

 

AULCHAND:

It had a significant following in the late 18th century and early 19th century, but its following declined considerably in the early 20th century.The founder of this community was Aulchand or Aulechand (c. 1686-1769), Aulchand had a number of followers, both Hindu and Muslim.The disciples of Aulchand believed him as the reincarnation of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.

 

The founder of the kartabhaja-apasampradaya was one Aul Chand, who lived approximately from 1686 to 1779. He was a fakir or daravesa said by his followers to be none other than Lord Caitanya.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NATUNGRAM:

 

 

 

Natungram is the hub of the wooden doll making artists also known as 'Sutradhars' (narrator or story teller). Carved out of a single piece of wood, these dolls from ancient folklores and mythology, are characterised by their vibrant colour and ethnic style. Owl sculptures from Natungram in Bardhaman district shares the iconic status in representing Bengal’s handicraft. Besides replications of owls, Krishna and Radha and King and Queen are traditionally made. The small village awaits you with its pastoral beauty, rural charm and great artistry.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

UJANI:

 

At the confluence of river Ajay and Kunur, Ujani believed to be the capital of Vikramaditya Keshari is todays’ Kogram. The Dhanapati Saudagar and his son’s Srimanto Saudagar of Chandi Mongal also used to stay here.

Temple of the Devi Chandi is situated here as satipith.

 

 

LOCHON DAS:

Shrila Lochan Das Thakura took his birth in a family of brahmanas who lived in a village in the Rada-desh, in Mahakumara, near Katwa, in the Burdhaman district of Bengal. When he was only a little boy, he enjoyed the good fortune of meeting the devotees of Shri Gauranga. His guru was Narahari Sarakara Thakura.

 

 

Kumud Ranjan Mullick (1883-1970) was a Bengali writer and poet. He was a poet of the Tagore era of Bengali literature. He was an early mentor and coach to the poet Kazi Nazrul Islam. He was born on March 3, 1883 in a Vaidya-Brahmin family in a village named Kogram in Burdwan district of West Bengal, India.

He graduated from the Scottish Church College of the University of Calcutta[1] in 1905 and won the Bankimchandra Gold Medal. He started his teaching career at Mathrun High School in Burdwan where he later became the headmaster.

Kumud Ranjan's poetry was influenced by Vaishnavism. His poetry is also a portrait of rural Bengal. He died on 14 December 1970.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ATTAHAS:

 

The temple of Attahas, also known as Fullora Attahas, is believed to be one of the 51 Shakti Peethas at which the Body Parts and Jewellery the Hindu goddess  Shakti fell to Earth. The goddess is so large that the lower lip is about 15 to 18 feet wide. The temple is a site of Hindu pilgrimage throughout the year.

 

JALBARI( Private Eco Resort): 

You can be a birdwatcher, history hunter, landscape photographer, wildlife enthusiast, angler or someone just waiting to wind-up after a hectic week in office – Belun will not disappoint you. Around 175 kms from Kolkata, Belun Eco Village is located near Katwa in Burdwan District of West Bengal. Belun village is a low-lying area and harbours a unique eco-system. Every year the annual floods of Shibai River submerge the adjacent landscape and create a marshland for a couple of months. After the water recedes, the region becomes home to a healthy population of birds, mammals, reptiles and butterflies. Local as well as migratory birds flock to Belun and mammals like jackals, foxes, fishing cats and civets are spotted regularly. Long back, we started some “nature conservation efforts” in Belun with the villagers and worked mutually to sustain the fragile eco-system.

 KHEPIMA TEMPLE KATWA:

Set up in the 1970s, this temple, apart from being a temple of Goddess Kali, also has a number of other temples, including a Shiva temple. This temple is famous for its Kali puja, after which thousands of poor people are fed here every year.

 

 JHUPOMA TEMPLE KATWA:

The Jhupo kali from Katwa college para beside the katwa college.There are no pratima structure. There are two tree Neem and Mango as you see in Picture. The Prayers used to do puja this two tree as jhupo kali.

 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2017 Katwa SDO Office. All Rights Reserved.
Best view at Firefox, Chrome, IE9+ 1024x768 Resolution
Developed By: Shopstation

Unique Visitor Counter